Friday, May 04, 2007

What to do, what to do

For a while, this blog has drifted away from the personal narrative and become a conduit for the little things I like to write. This time, I need to get something off my chest so I can look at it, outside myself, and start understanding it.

Here's the story-

I've been dating the same guy for about five years now, and we're starting to talk about the possibility that we would move in together and/or be married. He is agnostic, I am Wiccan. He has always been supportive of my witchy practices, and is really respectful about beliefs he himself doesn't share.

His family, however, is Christian. Very devotedly Christian. And my family is Christian as well, though of a less, I would say, vigorous variety. Because he and I have not ever lived in close proximity to our families in the last five years we've spent less time with them than you might think. I'm not out of the broom closet, as it were, to my family, and I'm certainly not to his.

I tend to think people's spirituality is their own business. However, I can see that it might be a nasty shock to come to a wedding or someone's home and find out you're actually at a handfasting, or that the person you assumed was just like you is actually pagan.

I have no idea how my family or his would take this, but I can imagine not very well. Recently my father has been asking me about church, and his family has been asking him to return to church as well. I don't know what to do. I don't feel that as a Witch, I need to just out and out sit people down and have some big conversation with them about it. I am who I am, and people find things out about me as they get to know me, right? But in this case, I'm wondering if I need to say, hey boyfriend's family, your son is dating a Witch. And if we make moves to bind ourselves together as a new family, he and I, this new family will be at least one half pagan.I'm wondering if I need to tell my family that too.

If I'm honest with myself I feel fearful about talking about it, too. The stereotypes about Wiccans that people have make me feel really disappointed in the people that have them. And part of me has no desire to engage with those stereotypes directly. I also don't think that my spirituality ought to be anyone's business but mine. However, there is that gap between theory and practice, and in practice, other people's religious proclivities are other people's business, especially when it comes to biological family structures.

So what in the world am I going to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home